Athlete’s Pasta Salad- gluten free, soy free, dairy free
Athletes Pasta Salad; Gluten free, Soy free, Dairy free
Absolutely love this gluten free pasta salad made with a super light, zesty roasted yellow pepper dressing and veggies. This flavorful dressing is unique with a base of roasted yellow pepper versus a typical mayo. I came up with this gluten free pasta salad recipe last summer when my hubby was training for the Tempe Triathlon, hence the title. It incorporates healthy fat from the extra virgin olive oil and olives, carbs from the brown rice pasta and green peas, and with adding beans you get a dose of vegan protein. Since everyone’s needs are different, this recipe can be easily adjusted based on your health, fitness goals, and body type. Please feel free to alter it to your specific requirements or target and leave a comment.
I cannot wait for you to try it.
- 1 Whole Yellow Pepper seeded, roasted in the oven at 400 for 20 min. on top rack or low broil till lightly browned
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 slice red onion (eyeball 1/3 of an inch)
- 1 TBSP. Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 TBSP. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Fresh Sweet Basil about ~20 large leaves
- 1/2 tsp. Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Salt
- 1 tsp. salt (or desired amount)
- 1 tsp. dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried Basil
- 1 tsp. raw Sugar
- Blend all the ingredients together and put in a large enough bowl for your finished pasta salad.
Pasta Salad Ingredients:
- 2 Dry Cups Brown Rice Penne Pasta cooked, then rinsed in cool water & drained
- 1/2 red onion diced (1 cup diced)
- 1 whole yellow pepper seeded & diced
- 2 Cups frozen peas rinsed in cool water
- 3 oz. black olive slices, drained
- 1 Cup diced tomatoes
- optional protein: 2 Cups cooked kidney or black beans
- Toss it all together, making sure the dressing coats your pasta and veggies well.
- Refrigerate for about 2 hours before serving. Should make about 8 cups of pasta salad.
On the Brown Rice Pasta, I recommend the one in the link. Amazon has various types of gluten free pasta available but this one is my favorite so far. It cooks al dente without being too hard and holds up well in pasta salad and for hot dishes too. Remember I am an amazon affiliate and when you purchase anything from my site you are not paying any more, I never receive any information about you(after all it is Amazon), and I get a small commission that helps keep the lights on. Thanks for reading my blog and trying my recipes