Sweet and refreshing Lemonade from scratch, made in your blender. With a hint of mint, this is a classic way to enjoy your summer. This is also an excellent popsicle recipe as you will see at the bottom of this post. Whether you are sitting on your front porch, rocking away and breathing in the scent of freshly mown grass while listening to kids playing in a nearby pool or having friends over for a backyard barbecue, lemonade is synonymous with Summer.
We were very excited to see our good friends new home, that they have recently moved into. With a new home, comes the idea of a fresh start and new possibilities. In this case their new home had well established citrus trees. Yay! Thank You guys for the lovely lemons, xoxo.
I am always surprised at the amount of people that have citrus trees here, yet let the fruit go to waste. Some people donate the fruit to local shelters, which is such a wonderful thing and takes little effort but goes such a long way! I hope if you have leftover eatable produce growing in your yard, you take the time to call a local shelter, like a homeless shelter, foster home, women’s shelter, etc. and ask if they take fresh produce. Many do! People don’t take the time to think about things like this, but once you know or become aware of these opportunities to do something really positive for someone else I encourage you to do them. Pass the love people. We are all on this earth together, maybe we should act like part of a team versus the opposite. Giving to others is so rewarding both for the recipient and yourself. Encourage your children to be more aware of others in need, and sensitive to others. Maybe we can take small steps and help make this world a better place From Life to Lemons, to Lemonade…
Best Fresh from Scratch Blender Lemonade
- 1/4 Cup packed washed mint leaves
- 1 1/2 – 2 Cups Sugar (depending on desired sweetness, start with less)
- 1/8 Cup lemon zest
- 1 1/2 Cups peeled and pitted lemon squeezed out
- 4 Cups Water
- 2 Cups Ice
1. Dissolve 1 1/2 Cups sugar in 2 Cups of the water on the stove, over medium low heat, stirring occasionally. Basically you are making a simple syrup. After the sugar is completely dissolved turn off the heat and add the fresh optional mint. This will help infuse the mint flavor without over cooking the mint. Let it cool enough to put in your blender.
2. Meanwhile wash, dry then zest your lemons until you get the 1/8 cup and set it aside.
3. Then cut the peel off your lemons, toss the peel and seed them as you squeeze out the juice directly into your blender. Your goal is to primarily remove all the seeds from your lemons, and the blender will do the rest. Make sure you have a full 1 1/2 cup measured lemon juice AND lemon pulp in your blender before you add anything else.
4. Add the rest of your water, ice, zest then add your mint simple syrup and blend well. Test for sweetness and add more sugar here if needed and blend again.
5. Serve and enJoy!
For some added fun and flavor, try serving in glasses with sugared rims. This needs to be done in actual glassware, not plastic because it won’t adhere. Get a shallow dish that is just big enough to fit your glassware upside down. Then fill about 1/3 of an inch with your sugar and some lemon zest. Wet about 1/2 inch of the rim of your glasses with a fresh lemon wedge and turn upside down into your sugar mix. Turn your glassware gently into the sugar mix back and forth one time and there you have it. Pour your lemonade gently into your sugared glasses, being careful not to get the rim wet again.
For a festive flair, try adding pieces of fresh fruit, like blueberries and strawberries, before serving. Whether you are incorporating a red, white and blue theme like the upcoming Fourth of July, baby shower, kids party or BBQ, you have lots of possibilities!
Leftover Lemonade Love-
Got leftovers and think Lemonade Popsicles would also be refreshing. You are right!
Just freeze them according to your popsicle manufacturers directions and here you go!
Here are the popsicle molds I own that work well, for me.
Tovolo Star Ice Pop Molds, Set of 6, Green , Ozera Ice Pop Molds Maker, Set of 6, Green, and a FoodWorks – Set of 6 Silicone Ice Pop Molds, BPA Free Popsicle Molds – 100% Money Back Lifetime Guarantee!