Honey Almond Butter
Freshly homemade Almond Butter, is truly amazing. It is warm, creamy, thick, sweetened with local Raw Honey and just so satisfying. This simple recipe is made in your food processor and can take about 5 minutes.
If you have ever tried Almond Butter in a jar and hated it, I urge you to give this recipe a try before you cut it out of your life completely. This stuff is the real deal, and nothing like that plain, dry, jarred crap. It is a different experience especially when it is first made and warm. I actually eat it with my finger, you don’t even need a GF cracker. Although it is very good with apples, celery and a few other things I can’t remember offhand. If you need to cut calories you can cut out the oil completely and it works fine, it is just a little thicker, and no hint of coconut flavor.
I do love peanut butter but unfortunately I have developed a light sensitivity to that as well. Add that to my Food Sensitivity List, so I try to sub Almond Butter most of the time. When I first tasted Almond Butter, it was because I was doing a Candida Cleanse or something like that. I have done so many cleanses they seem to mush together in my head. Anyway, I was told Peanuts have a lot of mold (I have a light mold allergy) on them and that I should avoid peanuts. So the doctor told me to try Almond Butter. I bought it from the store, opened it one time, and let that jar expire. Not only was it nothing like peanut butter as I had hoped but it was so unbelievably dry and had no flavor or at least no good flavor. Jinkees! Not sure if you are a Scooby Doo fan, but I have been looking for a reason to include one of the best all time cartoons into my writing. It had to be done.
Where was I going with this, oh yes…last Sunday my hubby and I met another couple which happen to be good friends of ours, at our local Farmer’s Market. We didn’t expect to find anything due to it being so hot here in Arizona. When it gets to be summer time, the local farmer’s markets cut their hours and many of the booths disappear till fall and then return. Well, we ended up with a whole cooler full of fresh veggies and a beautiful jar of local Raw Orange Blossom Honey. I knew it was time to make my Almond Butter again once I tasted this mild, golden goodness.
Note: When starting to make Almond Butter, use a more neutral light golden(vs. dark) honey or sweetener as it will significantly impact the flavor.
Start with 1 Cup of Raw Almonds processed for about 2 minutes
Add-1/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
And 3/4 tsp. ground Saigon Cinnamon(this cinnamon is naturally sweeter, but you can use whatever you have on hand)
Then Process for about another minute
And 1/4 tsp. Madagascar Vanilla Extract
Add-2 TBSP. Virgin Coconut Oil (you can adjust as needed)
And 1 TBSP. Mild Flavored Raw Honey
Then process another 30 seconds or so.
Honey Almond Butter Recipe
- 1 Cup Whole Raw Almonds
- 1/4 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt
- 3/4 tsp. ground Saigon Cinnamon(if you have it or regular cinnamon works fine)
- 1/4 tsp. Madagascar Vanilla Extract
- 2 TBSP. Virgin Coconut Oil (Can add more or none if desired)
- 1 TBSP. Mild Flavored Raw Honey (even the stuff in the bear(clover honey) works for this)
- Using a food processor, this is the one I have- Cuisinart DLC-2011CHB Prep 11 Plus 11-Cup Food Processor, Brushed Stainless
blend your raw almonds for about 2 minutes. while scraping down the sides occasionally.
- Add cinnamon, vanilla and salt and process for another 1 minute.
- Scrape down the sides again and add your coconut oil first(this is so when you are using the same Tablespoon your honey will just roll out of your spoon without effort) then add your honey and blend to desired consistency. I usually process just another 30 seconds or so.
- yummy yummy in your tummy. Refrigerate unused portion. Great healthy snack for kids too.